The Program Aide experience is the largest teen leadership program for Girl Scouts of Southeast Florida. Program Aides are role models for younger girls and are inspired to earn their admiration. Through leadership of young Girl Scouts, teens also develop their peer-leadership and teamwork skills.
The requirements for Program Aide are:
- Earn your Leader in Action award for one of the Journey series by helping Brownies earn their Journey awards
- Complete the Program Aide Core Leadership Workshop
- Work with younger Girl Scouts over six activity sessions (a session can be a troop meeting, an event such as a camporee or badge workshop)
It is recommended, but not required, that girls complete the Leader in Action award before attending the Program Aide workshop. Girls who come to the workshop with experience working with younger girls will get more out of the workshop.
The Volunteer-in-Training (VIT) award is for Girl Scout Seniors and Ambassadors who would like to mentor a Girl Scout Daisy, Brownie, Junior or Cadette group outside of the camp experience. If a girl has completed 9th grade, she is eligible to earn this award. A Volunteer-in-Training project needs to span a three-to-six month period. To earn the Volunteer-in-Training award, a girl needs to:
- Find a group of younger girls with a willing adult volunteer to work with. The adult volunteer will help her through her training and internship, and the girl will help with the group of girls for a three-to-six month period.
- Complete a Volunteer-in-Training leadership course.
- Create and implement a program lasting four or more sessions, using the resources of the Girl Scout program portfolio (Journeys and The Girl’s Guide to Girl Scouting).
Opportunities are available at each resident camp for Girl Scout Cadettes, Seniors and Ambassadors wishing to perfect their leadership skills while having fun in the outdoors. These skills provide a valuable foundation for future academic and work-related choices, and are especially useful to young women interested in giving back to the organization and becoming camp counselors for a GSSEF Summer Camp program. Girls must submit an application (will be posted soon) and complete an interview process.
For questions, please email Lammy Askar, director of program, at email@example.com.