Votes for women! Ballots for both! It’s been 100 years since the United States took the first step to guarantee all women the right to vote with the ratification of the Nineteenth Amendment to our Constitution. This historic moment didn’t just give women a voice at the polls -- it led to major improvements in communities all across the country. To gain the right to vote was a long-fought battle led by an extraordinary group of women whom we have to thank for the freedoms afforded to us every election day.
Join us August 1 – 31, 2020 to learn more about the historical importance of the suffrage movement that led to the ratification of the Nineteenth Amendment and all the positive impacts women voters have had on society ever since. This virtual program can be done completely on your own over the course of the month of August by following a printable Activity Guide that will be provided to you, or you can log on to participate in guided activities August 4 – 6, 2020 where we will feature:
- Susan B. Anthony (brought to life by Sheryl Faye) will perform and discuss the formation of the women’s suffrage movement
- Katrina Long-Robinson, Vice Mayor for the City of Westlake, FL will discuss representation of Black and minority communities and their journey in the movement towards voting equality
- Commissioner Rita Barreto Craig of the Florida Commission on the Status of Women will discuss women’s rights today
- Wendy Sartory Link, Supervisor of Elections for Palm Beach County, will discuss the importance of women voters and the impact women have in local communities
Upon completion of this program, girls of all grade levels will earn a limited edition patch commemorating the centennial of this great moment in history and a NEW badge!
$15/girl for GSSEF members
$19/girl for out-of-council members
All participants will receive:
- a limited edition GSSEF Centennial of Suffrage patch
- a brand new GSUSA badge released in July
- access to three live virtual experiences with special guests
- access to an educational printable GSSEF Activity Guide with over 20 options of activities to complete as well as the GSSEF Girl Scouts @ Home Badge Blueprints for the new badge
For questions about the Centennial of Suffrage program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.