As Girl Scouts, we promise to “help people at all times” and “make the world a better place.” What better way to demonstrate our commitment to Girl Scouting than providing community service! Conducting service projects during Girl Scout Week or on Thinking Day is a great way to give back to our community while expressing enthusiasm for the Girl Scout Movement.
Drive the Food
For our 2018 Council-wide community service project, GSSEF was presented with a unique opportunity to partner with Living Hungry, a local nonprofit whose initiative addresses food insecurity in our communities! Instead of gathering the food ourselves, Living Hungry is providing boxes of nonperishable food and snacks for our troops to help distribute ASAP to communities in need – it’s kind of like a reverse food drive.
SIGN UP HERE to help us Drive the Food!
Our challenge - to find out where hunger exists locally and to move thousands of boxes from the warehouse out into communities that need it most. That's where we need YOUR help!
- Gather your troop and identify individuals, families, schools, churches, or local organizations that are in need of meals, snacks and comfort food. Where are the hunger gaps in your community?
- Calculate how many boxes you will need to pick up and deliver to those in need. Keep in mind, you can give out multiple boxes per person. Boxes may include: Spaghettios, crackers, peanuts, trail mix, Goldfish, cookies, and other non-perishable, shelf-stable items.
- Sign up using Sign Up Genius to schedule a pick up of the number of boxes your troop needs in a time slot that works for you! Don't forget to include the number of boxes you wish to pick up and the number of patches you will need on the sign-up form. Sign up deadline is April 23, 2018.
- Pick up your boxes on Saturday, April 28, 2018 from one of two locations listed below. (Adults only please.)
- The Palm Beach Post,2751 South Dixie Highway; West Palm Beach, FL 33405 from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Pembroke Lakes Mall Parking Lot, 11401 Pines Blvd, Pembroke Pines, FL 33026 from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Decorate the boxes at your next troop meeting. Be sure to include positive messages and colorful images. Feel free to get creatives - these boxes are a blank canvas for your troop's message!
- Drive the food to those you in need that your troop has identified, and deliver your meals! Our recommendation is to deliver your meals within the next few weeks.
- There is a 20 box minimum per car AND time slot.
- Registration is required in advance, no drop-ins allowed.
- These boxes are being reserved just for your troop. Please adhere to your assigned time slot.
- Deadline to sign up is Monday, April 23.
This is a great chance for girls to earn much needed community service hours!
ALL girls who participate in Drive the Food will earn this awesome patch!
For more information, contact Mica Minor at email@example.com.
Cozy Feets and Covered Seats
October 1 - November 15, 2017
Thank you to all who participated in Cozy Feets and Covered Seats!
Whether it's wild toe socks, underwear, boxer shorts or itty bitty diapers, Girl Scouts from across our council will unite by taking action to help local families and neighbors in need through their participation in Cozy Feets and Covered Seats.